Ministry of Lector & Commentator
Star of the Sea Parish
Please adapt your procedure and movement to the environment of the specific church (Star of the Sea Church, Holy Cross Church)
PRIOR TO THE MASS
- Arrive at least 15 minutes prior to Mass and report to the Sacristy. Initial or mark with a check next to your name on the schedule to indicate your presence.
- At 10 minutes to start time, the Lector present may start looking for a substitute. If none is present or willing (because he/she would not have practiced the readings), the Lector present must do both readings and Prayers of the Faithful. This brings up the necessity of practicing both readings.
NOTE: If you have been replaced because you did not show up on time, please honour the
- The goal is to have two Lectors, two voices, at each Mass.
- As a Lector, as much as possible, even if you were not scheduled to read, please make a point to practice a little as you may be asked to serve in a situation such as this. In fact, at 10 minutes to start time, check at the sacristy if there are two Lectors on hand.
- Second Lector: At the Sacristy, find the binder for the Prayers of the Faithful and make sure you have the edition for that weekend. Go over the text and make sure you are comfortable with any unfamiliar names or words.
- Lectors are requested to sit at the first pew closest to the ambo to minimize movement.
- The First Lector is to perform the role of Commentator. In the morning of Saturday prior to your day of assignment, visit www.starofthesea.ca and access the commentator suggested script online. Print the script, practice, and familiarize yourself with the text.
- At the Sacristy, about four or five minutes to start of Mass, and after the Priest and ministers had said the prayer before Mass, the Priest gives the First Lector the signal to go ahead with the commentating.
- After performing your role as Commentator, proceed to your assigned seat with the congregation.
- The Lectionary should already be in place at the ambo before the procession and opened to the right page. If it is not, the First Lector is to place it at the ambo. Please remind each other to do this.
- If you need to do last minute practice or refreshing, take out a Workbook for Lectors from the Library at Good Shepherd Church.
- A copy of the Workbook will be made available at the sacristy of Star of the Sea Church and the Holy Cross Church.
- For the entrance procession, the Lectors process in after the servers and ahead of the Eucharistic Ministers.
- The Second Lector ahead of the First Lector carrying the Book of Gospels (if it is present). The Book of Gospels is reverently carried in front of you, slightly elevated or high enough that you are able to see and walk with confidence. If there is no Book of Gospels, both Lectors process side by side.
- If you are carrying the Book of Gospels, do not bow or genuflect.
- First Lector carrying the Book of Gospels walk up the steps and reverently place the Book of Gospels flat on the altar and goes down to his/her reserved seat among the people