CWL Local 1047 History

cwl old exec

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Catholic Women’s League was organized nationally June 17th, 1920.

The council in White rock was organized August 16, 1946, Charter number 1047. The charter Spiritual Advisor was Father John Collins 1946 – 1952. It has in a sense, been the backbone of the parish, often spearheading Parish activities with the help of other parishioners. For many years they looked after cleaning the churches, altar linens, priests and altar boys’ vestments

Charitable Activities

  • Visiting the sick in hospital and nursing homes and giving cards to same.
  • Making up hampers for needy families at Christmas
  • Providing clothing, household necessities etc. to refugee families and others when the Pastor learned of some specific need.
  • Helping in various capacities to the Sisters of the Good Shepherd who ran St. Euphrasias School and Home for delinquent girls. Taking the girls on outings such as the PNE, circuses, etc. After the Government decided to close all such facilities in the Province, the name changed to Rosemary Heights Retreat Centre. The C.W.L continued to help the Sisters. The Sisters left in 1995 to go back to Eastern Canada.
  • Contributing to men’s hostel, Papal charities, Malta Orphanage, Eskimo missions and various other missions in South and Central America and the Third World Countries
  • Contributing to Birthright by paying for ads in local papers. Christmas gifts for mothers and babies and selling bulbs and rose bushes.
  • Participating in ‘Life Chain’ protesting abortions, Walk for Life, and silent marches in front of hospitals.
  • Providing Christmas gifts to the Mental Health Society, nursing home patients, and Sancta Maria House.
  • Donating to the Cenacle
  • Donating to the Children’s Hospital and giving money to the Kanes to help defray expenses of sending their young son to the Mayo Clinic for heart surgery, a new process at that time. Damien seems to be doing nicely. Giving money to Elizabeth Chisholm for her daughter who needed special treatment.
  • Many of the ladies helped with Mary Ann Sambrook’s patterning and contributed financially to defray expenses for transportation, etc.
  • Helping the Sisters of the Atonement with food, clothing and money; also making sandwiches and meals.
  • Lenten lunches originated from our Church and continue each Thursday during Lent with proceeds going to Development and Peace.
  • Turkey Dinners, bazaars, bake sales were held to raise funds.
  • We have held several Fashion shows and a spring dance.
  • Organized ladies Circle groups within the parish.
  • Adopted a foster child in a Third World Country
  • Working with the Archdiocese at starting a Transition House for abused women and children.

Thanks to Jeannette Lemieux for the many hours compiling this history